THREAD: Hmm, which M&H tires to go back to?

AUTHOR
Threads: 2
Replies: 0
Foat Points: 4,410
Thread posted: 06/06/2010 at 02:35:pm

Hmm, which M&H tires to go back to?

Way way back in 1992 when I first started drag racing my old 78 Trans Am, I had a set of hard as concrete Goodyear circle track slicks I picked up at the Albuquerque Flea Market. Needless to say, they au, er, sucked. I had a friend who I raced with that was running a set of M&H Cheater slicks (measured at 275-60-15 back then. He let me try them. My first launch with those running 4.56 gears with the 455 allowed me to pull my first wheelie. It was a torque wheelie but a wheelie none the less. I bought those from him and went to Super Shops to buy a pair of badly needed subframe connectors. I ran those for the rest of the year and bought a new set (I believe from Jegs) and raced those for two years.

I bought my second new set shortly after arriving at Ft. Carson CO. I got the soft compound ones by mistake but decided to run them anyways. Unfortunately, I only got two runs on those tires as I scattered my 455 all over the track on its second 1/4 mile run. I was alot younger then and didn't think anythink about my fuel system being inadequate. It was just good enough for 1/8th mile racing but not enought for 1/4 mile and I leaned the motor around 900 feet and boom.

I didn't race again for nearly 13 years. Long story short, I had two more long tours in Germany, a few deployments, managed to fall in love and get married and eventually had children, and lived places that had no tracks. It's asking a awful lot for race tires to live that long and they didn't. I had them "hid" in a closet at my dad's place but he didn't like that and moved them to his shed and they dryrotted out. That really sucked but...

Anyways, Toyo came out with a new line of slicks and it was a buy one, get one free promo so I picked up a set. They are 28x9x15's but I have a hard time launching them due to the torque of a Pontiac. They are okay with the 400 but the new 463 in the garage no doubt will kill them. Especially with a trans brake.

What do you guys think? The car weighs 3640lbs, will soon be a 463 cubed Pontiac 78 Trans Am with 30 spline axles and 3.73 gears on a tight 3200 converter. I'm trying to put the car into the 11's on motor at altitude as I get ready for Pinks All Out in August (Denver CO).

Traction and consistency are the requirements, I'm thinking of going back to the cheaters or all out slicks. I don't think I can plant drag radials
06/07/2010 at 09:44:am
Threads: 0
Replies: 28
Foat Points: 62,129
Quote from: Johnny406
Way way back in 1992 when I first started drag racing my old 78 Trans Am, I had a set of hard as concrete Goodyear circle track slicks I picked up at the Albuquerque Flea Market. Needless to say, they au, er, sucked. I had a friend who I raced with that was running a set of M&H Cheater slicks (measured at 275-60-15 back then. He let me try them. My first launch with those running 4.56 gears with the 455 allowed me to pull my first wheelie. It was a torque wheelie but a wheelie none the less. I bought those from him and went to Super Shops to buy a pair of badly needed subframe connectors. I ran those for the rest of the year and bought a new set (I believe from Jegs) and raced those for two years.

I bought my second new set shortly after arriving at Ft. Carson CO. I got the soft compound ones by mistake but decided to run them anyways. Unfortunately, I only got two runs on those tires as I scattered my 455 all over the track on its second 1/4 mile run. I was alot younger then and didn't think anythink about my fuel system being inadequate. It was just good enough for 1/8th mile racing but not enought for 1/4 mile and I leaned the motor around 900 feet and boom.

I didn't race again for nearly 13 years. Long story short, I had two more long tours in Germany, a few deployments, managed to fall in love and get married and eventually had children, and lived places that had no tracks. It's asking a awful lot for race tires to live that long and they didn't. I had them "hid" in a closet at my dad's place but he didn't like that and moved them to his shed and they dryrotted out. That really sucked but...

Anyways, Toyo came out with a new line of slicks and it was a buy one, get one free promo so I picked up a set. They are 28x9x15's but I have a hard time launching them due to the torque of a Pontiac. They are okay with the 400 but the new 463 in the garage no doubt will kill them. Especially with a trans brake.

What do you guys think? The car weighs 3640lbs, will soon be a 463 cubed Pontiac 78 Trans Am with 30 spline axles and 3.73 gears on a tight 3200 converter. I'm trying to put the car into the 11's on motor at altitude as I get ready for Pinks All Out in August (Denver CO).

Traction and consistency are the requirements, I'm thinking of going back to the cheaters or all out slicks. I don't think I can plant drag radials

Hello Johnny406,

This is what we have to offer for you. Please click on the links below.

Slicks.

http://www.mandhtires.com/store.php?crn=71&rn=341&action=show_detail

Dot cheater pias ply.

http://www.mandhtires.com/store.php?crn=72&rn=298&action=show_detail

Will this work for you.

Best regards,

SlicksMH

Email Address:
Password:
Bookmark This Forum
Share on Email Share on Facebook

SEARCH