I finally got a chance to get out there for a bit today. Cut off the old Shock mounts, and then tacked in the new shock mounts and the Wheelie Bar Mounts. I will need to pull the entire diff out, and finish weld it all, and clean up the rearend housing. I will probably not do this until I am ready to do the brakes back there though. Later tonight, once it cools down some, I will go out and make the rear square again, and see what is next.
Here is what I started with. Since I aquired the rear end used, and it was a great deal and already narrowed and all I took what I found. The shock mounts are below the axle and I need mine above the axle, and need to add a wheelie bar mount on each side.
I stared to grind the weld and then planned to get in there with the plasma cutter to get these out. In the end, I just let the plasma cutter do the work for me.
This is what was welded in there.
And here is what is going in its place
It actually cut out pretty clean.
And this is what it looked like without any finish welding, or adjustments. Just put together so it could sit down, and I could make sure nothing was binding. Still have a ton of work to do back here, but we are started again.
It was great weather to be out there. When it started to get hot, it felt good to quit, come in and relax for a few, and the run some more of the weekend errands. This week after work I want to try to get in there and do some of the finish work on the rear, and while it is out, I also want to get in there and prep everything for the Tub Install, and also some of the finish tin work. I am going to guess it will be delayed about half way through, as I am going to need to do some body work, and I want the frame done, and the drive train in the car long before I start doing any body work. I will get it as far as I can, and we will see if I need to do any. If I get out there tonight after dinner, and start doing some of the fast tape measurement adjustments I will post up some more pictures, with the rear bumper cover on, and try to also get it sitting next to the convertible for comparison. Might also pull out the wheelie bars, tack them up, and do some welding on thing. Who Knows, might even get the chance to shot some shots of it with Wheelie Bars on it this week.
Thank you all. I am in the middle of a couple of things, but once completed, I should be getting back to the coupe. I am going to try to get the crossmember built and put in so I can start putting the interior back in the car. Once I get that completed, the plan is to put some of the interior back in the car and I work to get the parts for the next portion of this build. I am going to be doing a High Eng TH400 trans build, as well as the heart of the beast. Once they are ready to drop in, I will be in doing the under hood prep, and dropping it in. From there, it is a matter of reassembly and wiring. From there it is going to get real expensive. I have to buy the pair of GTX3788 Turbos, and all the supporting parts for it from the exhaust manifoldes, intercooler, boost controler, and plumbing. I would like to get the engine and trans in before the snow flys, but we will see.
Honestly the car has sat for some time. I am a home designer in the production home market, and things have been tough and things slowed down. I have paused but not stopped work. I plan on getting back into it real soon.